For the Pesto:
2 cups packed spinach leaves
1/2 cup packed parsley leaves
1/2 cup walnuts
1 small garlic clove
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp pure salt
- Place spinach, parsley, walnuts & garlic in a food processor (a blender won’t work).
- Process until finely chopped (stopping to scrape down sides as needed).
- While motor is running, gradually pour in olive oil and salt.
Serve over whole grain pasta topped with roasted peppers (or use for sandwich spread).
For the Peppers:
1 or 2 red peppers
- Preheat broiler on high.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise discarding the seeds & pith.
- Place peppers in one layer on broiler safe pan.
- Broil, 4 inches from the heat about 10 mins, until quite charred.
- Turn & cook until the edges of the second side are charred (maybe 3 – 5 mins).
- Remove from oven & let cool.
- Peel & discard skin (skin should slip right off once cooled).
- Chop into small pieces.
~ From “1000 Vegetarian Recipes” Has been a family favorite for more than 10 years.
~ This is a NO COOK SAUCE (love that). The pesto can be prepared In the time it takes to cook the pasta.
~ Freeze this pesto into cubes using an ice cube tray to use at your convenience as needed. (see my FAVORITE-KITCHEN-TOOLS-&-GADGETS page for tip on this).
~ The original recipe also includes grilled eggplant. Once in a while I’m inspired to include it as it’s really tasty (if you like eggplant). But it does make this otherwise quick meal longer to prepare. If you’re in the mood – peel the eggplant, cut it into circles, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, put them under the broiler (both sides), then cut them into quarters & add them on top with the roasted peppers.
Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free,
Nut Free, Sugar Free, Grain Free, Vegan, Raw
If eating gluten free, be sure to use an appropriate pasta (we prefer brown rice pasta).